Sunday, August 2, 2015

books

I enjoy finding new books and old books, and revisiting old books that seem new again when I pick them up.  Looking at books or bookshelves or bookshops makes me want to have all the time in the world to read the books.  Then, however, even with time, I wouldn't know which book to pick up first, and I have trouble reading a book.  Instead, I read a few books--pieces from this one, parts from that one, and another one straight through.  One book I may read in my bed.  Another if I'm sitting in some other place at home.  There's always at least one in my purse for when I'm out, but then, I often have my backpack with me and my computer with all sorts of reading material.

Tonight I came across an old book I haven't seen in a while.  The Key to Heaven, edited by Fr. J.M. Lelen.  It's a neat little book that would easily fit in a pocket, with lots of useful stuff in it, sort of like a Vademecum, with prayers, catechism, devotions, and counsels.  And it's interesting that it was published just before Vatican II, with its table of movable feasts ranging from 1958-1977.

Here are some sample counsels:

Never pretend to be what you are not; it is impossible to conceal your inward emptiness and defects for a long time.

The neglect of your daily duties to serve God better is not the Will of God.

One of your most efficacious means of pleasing God should be to perform every action as though it were the last of your life.

Sound almost like wisdom from a fortune cookie?

Perhaps I'll get around to posting more later.

No comments: