One day last
year I walked in to a small pizzeria between the metro station and my
apartment, and when it was my turn, and the ladies behind the counter
asked how they could help me, I responded that I had a question. The
older of the ladies told me that would be fine, as long as the question
was not too difficult. So, instead of immediately asking about the
pizza I had never seen before, I said in a disappointed tone, "You mean,
I can't ask you the meaning of life?" She responded, without skipping a
beat, that for her, life means the possibility to start over at any
given moment. Oh, I responded, so you are philosopher! She told me she
wasn't, but that she was from Naples, which is the same thing. Then
she explained to me that Neapolitans have to be philosophers because the
way life treats them. So I told her St. Thomas Aquinas was from
Naples, and she got very excited as he was one the the greatest
philosophers ever. Then the younger woman behind the counter asked me
what I do in Rome. The older one responded that she thought I was a
student. I confirmed. Then the younger woman asked what I study, and
the older one responded that she thought I studied philosophy. I
confirmed again. I further confirmed that I study St. Thomas
Aquinas--where? At the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in
Rome, of course. Then, back to the pizza--should they heat it up for
me, did I have to carry it far before eating it? No, not very far--I
live just behind here on St. Thomas Aquinas Street. They laughed very
hard, and wondered what St. Thomas wanted from me--surely I would marry
someone named Thomas, perhaps with Aquinas as a last name! Then they
introduced themselves. The older lady was the mother of younger one.
(In fact, the pizzeria is called Mom and I Pizza!) There were two other
daughters who also worked there, but who were not there that day. The
next day when I passed, I thought I would stop in and tell the mother
that St. Thomas actually studied philosophy at the University of Naples,
but she wasn't there. Instead, the other two daughters were working,
and they told me they recognized me from their mother's description the
night before when she came home from work, "You are St. Thomas'
girlfriend!"
I like this story not simply because it's funny. But now, as I walk past the pizzeria, even if I don't stop in for anything (and I very seldom do), the ladies recognize me, and if they're not too busy, they wave or nod acknowledgement through the window. The man who buys gold in the shop next door often smiles and nods as I walk by, and I've never stopped in his shop. The Peruvians next door to him, who cut keys and fix shoes, also offer some sort of polite acknowledgement as I pass. It just goes to show that while Rome may be a big city, neighborhoods are still like villages, and neighbors are still neighbors.
4 comments:
... when you say you didn't post this story earlier... it sounds so very familiar... And it's a Delightful Story!
Ok. I thought I had posted it, and I looked for it before putting it up. But, you found it where I had missed it and forgotten it. So, proof that you not only read this, but remember it, too!
...Perhaps I should be more careful...
I'm afraid I've no way to explain what things I remember and what I forget — of which there is plenty indeed; but in re-finding it, also found the earlier one had different things in it; and different details do make Different Stories, so, I think we're still winning.
... for instance, I am frequently under the impression that I'm repeating myself over at "null epistolary", and haven't the heart to dig around just to be sure ... and it's remarkably hard to guess what was under which title when they pop up in the statistics page! There is definitely something about reading something one has never thought of that is more memorable than having written something one frequently thinks of.
Post a Comment