Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A few minor miracles...

Sunday morning, I woke up, packed, and went downstairs for breakfast.  Not a bad buffet they had, but I just had a small croissant with a bit of brie, a bowl of fruit salad, and a cup of tea.  Actually, I went up to get some fruit juice, which was right next to the cereal dispenser, and a fellow there sent his cereal flying, and seemed not to notice that some of it landed in my cup as I poured!  But the waitress noticed, and volunteered to change my glass.  She was very nice, but I didn't think a bit of cereal really ruined the juice, but I did think it was very funny.  There was a computer by the reception desk which the guests are allowed to use, and I checked my e-mail there, and saw one with the subject, "***votre passport US retrouve'***"!!!! I could pick it up after 6am Sunday!  I was so happy!  Major miracle!!!!  Thank you St. Anthony!!!!  (The next worry was whether to go straight to the airport then, or to rush out and hope the office would still be open after the ordination.)  And next to that was an e-mail from one of the Dominicans who had gone up on Friday warning me that the Cathedral would be full, and that it would be hard to get in, so to be there early.  No problem there.  I didn't really know what else to do, so I planned to stay at the cathedral from morning until ordination.  I got directions from the hotel, and took my bag, and went off towards the cathedral.  And started taking pictures.

The cathedral is in the center background.  The park in the foreground is next door to my hotel.


 When I got to about this point on my walk, I saw Fr. Prior from the Angelicum on the other side of the road.  His native language is French, but when we've spoken at the Angelicum, it's been in Italian.  However, here we spoke in English for some reason.  I told him about my passport experience, and about having left my ticket behind, and that I was on my way to the cathedral just then.  (It was about 10:30am, and the ordination was to begin at 3pm, with a procession at 2:30.)  He told me he was out exploring the town, and pointed across the ravine (above) to where there is a Marian shrine.  And he mentioned some of the many religious houses in the area, which is a bit odd for the mainly Protestant Switzerland.  And then I went down the hill toward the cathedral, passing lots of pretty stuff on the way.
entrance to the cathedral
When I got to the cathedral, they were in the middle of Mass, and I stayed and got comfortable.
over the main altar
One of the side altars

However, after Mass ended, they kicked me out and told me to come back at 2.  So I wandered off...


Just outside the cathedral

 And I found a spot in this plaza, facing the tea room across the way, and pulled out a book and started to read.  But this is a pretty central location, and I saw Fr. Prior come by twice with the vice-dean of theology.  They saw me the second time by, when they passed closer.  It seems that they, too, had tried unsuccessfully to get into the cathedral, and I told them what the men had said when they kicked me out.  Then the two of them went on their way.  After that, the Catholic Studies group came by.  Then a couple of students from Rome who had driven up, one of whom had given me the ticket from Fr. Morerod to get into the cathedral.  So, I told them my story, too.  They led a quick prayer to St. Nicholas and to Our Lady that I might get into the cathedral, and then the three of us went to the tea room pictured in the center of the above photo (with the turret behind it) for a light refreshment.  They had their luggage with them, and wanted a place to put it before the ordination.  So, I offered to go with them and try to leave it at my hotel.  On the way, though, they heard from the driver of the car that he was at the train station, so we went there and they left their bags in his car (much more convenient), and sent me down with two others who were hoping to get into the cathedral. 

this and the above pictures are views from the bench where i sat and read
It hadn't looked hopeful for me, though.  The folks who had kicked me out of the cathedral mentioned that there would be a check for tickets to get back in, and I tried to explain that I had forgotten my ticket in Rome, and they mentioned something about a list.  Anyway, I pushed my way up with the small, growing crowd in front of the cathedral doors just before 2pm.  At exactly 2, the doors opened, and we pushed our way in.  There were lots of people checking tickets, and looking at maps of the tiny cathedral, and checking lists.  I gave my name to one of the ladies dressed in a cape from the order of Malta.  She didn't find my name on the list, nor did she see my ticket, but seemed to believe me when I said I'd been invited by the bishop-to-be, and and had forgotten my ticket in Rome, and she seemed just harried enough to prefer to send me forward than backward, so she directed me to the section of pews reserved for the new bishop's guests.  I was in!  Minor miracle!!!!  Thank you St. Nicholas, and thank you Mother Mary!!!   What's more, it was a couple of familiar faces who joined me in my pew--two secretaries from the Angelicum, with their husbands.

No comments: