Well, maybe not so typical... But, when I think about it, is any day typical? I've yet to find one, really.
Last night when I came home from school, I picked up a package at the chocolate shop--and this time it was not a small one. On the label was printed "Perishable. Personal greeting on back of label." ("Merry Christmas, love Mum and Dad.")
And, oh what fun it was to go through that hamper from England! Starting with the pineapple and going through to the Bailey's! I'll not go through all the contents here, but they were ever so much fun! (and from here I can see the box, and it is making me smile and plan and ponder...) Anyway, I took a bit of time going through it, and after that and other things to do before going to bed, and I found myself still up about 6 hours before I had to start my day over again....
Well, something happened. Or, rather, it didn't. I had been so tired the day before that I slept in and after hitting snooze for an hour and a half, finally got up at 7 and turned off my alarm--but I forgot to turn it back on. So, this morning, it didn't wake me up. Instead the first church bells, which go off at 7 every morning, woke me up. But I had already arranged to be at school at 6:50. Oops. When I checked my e-mail, thinking I should send my apologies to the friar who was to let me in, I saw that he had written to say he would not make it! Meno male! And, I decided to skip my morning class. It is a good class, but it is a theology class, and I'm in philosophy, so it's extra. And, I already knew I'd have to skip the second hour anyway, because I'd arranged to meet a student to review contemporary philosophy--going over intentional inexistence in Franz Brentano. So, I decided to skip and to have breakfast instead. So, I had a lovely cup of tea, bowl of cereal, and a clementine and a waffle from my magic box, and finished preparations for my study session. And then ran out the door to school, grabbing a container of potato chips to enjoy while at school.
When I arrived at the Angelicum, I met "Our Lady of the Gate," who goes by the name of Maria. She is a gypsy who spends her work-days sitting on a milk crate at the Angelicum gate. Her hours seem to be from about 8:15 - 2:00. She sits and begs and frowns and offers good luck to those who pass. She asks different things from different people, depending on the likelihood of obtaining something. From me, she always seeks a cappuccino, and sometimes asks for my clothes. From others she asks for money or food. But I was late as I rushed in this morning and didn't have time to buy her a cappuccino from the machine in the Deans' Building. So, I took out my packet of crisps, and left them with her. Then I wondered what I might do for lunch (but I didn't wonder too much)
After that bit of study, I realized I was free for the rest of the day (at least as long as the Angelicum library was open), so I went down to the library and started working on my seminar paper on wisdom in Christ according to Sts. Bonaventure and Thomas Aquinas. "Eccola!" exclaimed one of the librarians as I walked in, and she asked if I could take her place at the desk as she and the other staff had been invited to meet with the general secretary of the school for their Christmas celebration. So I stayed there and read in Spanish about St. Bonaventure and answered questions about books and handled some minimal logistics for the library for about 20-30 minutes. Then the librarians returned, and by way of a thank you, brought me a plate of goodies from the celebration! So I went upstairs and ate!
Then I went back to my studies, and a visiting scholar started talking to me and making suggestions for my paper. He started out by requesting a book from me while I was behind the librarian's desk, but then continued by asking if I was the one reading the Disputed Questions on Christ's Knowledge book in Spanish, and asked if he could look at it and whose Disputed Questions they might be. Then he started suggesting other books along similar themes that might be in Spanish. And he suggested that that Spanish bi-lingual (along with Latin) edition of those questions might not be the latest critical edition... Anyway, I'm sure he meant to be very helpful.
But, the Angelicum library is a rather somnolent place. It is still, and warm, and I'm sure there must be a soporific in the air conditioning/heating unit, because it's very hard to stay awake down there. So, after a while, I came out and called the friar who usually lets me in for morning Mass to ask him for some coffee. He asked if I could give him 10 minutes, so I went into the Adoration chapel to pray. And that was when I remembered I hadn't been to Mass yet today. And I thought it would be very difficult to find Mass after that point, because I was told in no uncertain manner yesterday afternoon that I would indeed be attending a class this evening at 6:30 (which is the most popular time for evening Masses). I also remembered while I was in the chapel there, that the priest who was offering me coffee would not have concelebrated the morning English Mass as he would have been exposing the Blessed Sacrament at that time. So, when I went to meet him on leaving the chapel, I asked if he had already said Mass today, and he said he hadn't. So, after coffee, we played a bit of ping pong, and discussed possibilities for Mass before Benediction and Latin class. Then I went back to the library for more research and met him again for Mass after another hour. And he celebrated it in Latin for me and for my family!
Next followed Benediction and Latin class, and I showed up. We finally finished reading the 12th Century miracle play about St. Nicholas, arriving finally at the big miracle. There were 2 students there tonight who are registered for the class, and then the 2 of us auditors. I am a rather unfaithful auditor of that course, though, as I grow impatient and decide not to come back. And somehow, I find myself coming back anyway after some absences.
Then I went to the portineria to greet my friend there at the main door of the university. But she was busy helping a young lady from Georgia (the country) correct her Italian grammar from a paper she is to present tomorrow morning.
One more day of classes, and then we reach the Christmas break. (When I really MUST write my papers!)
God bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment