Monday, October 10, 2011
Last Saturday morning, early...
...I went to Sperlonga with a friend, and it was quite an adventure. Perhaps I'll write about it. For now, though, I'll mention Mass before going. My friend and I arranged to meet up at Sacro Cuore for 6:30 Mass before taking a 7:45 train. That's pretty impressive. Romans don't like to get up that early, and so it is very difficult to find a Mass at such an hour. The earliest ones are usually around 7. But, anyway, Mass there was at 6:30, 7, 7:30, 8, and I don't know how many others. Also, this was on Saturday. I know of no other parish in Rome that will offer Mass that early, or so many on Saturday morning! On Saturday evenings there are lots of Masses to be had, but the morning, well, people sleep in. So, I was impressed. And then I walked in the church. There were people there! Not only that, but there was a light on in the confessional, and even a penitent present! Wow! And then Mass started. Two priests on the altar. One read the first reading, the Psalm, chanted the alleluia, and proclaimed the Gospel. Then, both priests sat for a moment of silence and recollection. They both went to the altar for the offertory, and did not read out general intercessions. No sign of peace, and no "extraordinary" ministers of the Eucharist. I must say I was impressed.
No comments:
Post a Comment