Monday, May 9, 2011

First Saturday

6:30am--out the door, on the way to St. Peter's.
6:50am--arrive with about 100 people (again) ahead of me in one security line.
7:00am--follow the about 500 people ahead of me flooding in through the iron gates on the porch of the basilica, while at least a hundred more follow behind.  I made it this time for the start of Mass, which ends about
7:45am--chat with the folks who had been pushing and squishing right in front of me to get in the basilica, and who had come for the same Mass.  They had been in line from about 6:30, and were not so much better off than I was getting in.
8:03am--find the same priest I'd seen the day before who called me his "angel of the bell," but this time, he had no bell.  He was just starting the Gloria when I arrived.  At the end of the prayer, he turned around and asked if I could go to the sacristy to fetch a bell, since he had forgotten.  So, boldly in went I and found a sacristan to ask, while some other official-looking person came to see what I was doing in the Sacristy.  When I returned, bell in hand, Father was finishing the Gospel.
8:36am--when Mass ended, I left and headed up the hill for the Clericus Cup quarter finals, trying to decide whether to watch the NAC game (against their neighbors, the Urbanianum) or the Angelicum one (against the Mexican College).  I decided to watch the Angelicum one, but when I got there, changed my mind. 
9:00am--the NAC game was supposed to start.
9:08am--it started.  final score, 2-1 to the NAC.  Fans (seminarians) dressed as Yankee Doodle, a giant chicken, the Mario Brothers, one of the X-Men, and now I can't remember what other characters.  They were all singing "Jeremiah was a bullfrog!," and stomping on the bleachers for sound effects, when an official came up and said no hitting things, that only voices were allowed for cheering because of classes going on in a building behind us.  Then came the handful of Urbanianum fans with their vuvuzelas, and they were told by the same official not to use them.  Interestingly, after the match, the same official came over and asked to take a picture of the Americans in their costumes for a souvenir--the head cheerleader said it was okay if he didn't make too much noise.
10:30am--after the end of the match, caught the last goal of the Angelicum's six against the Mexican College.  6-0 final score. 

No comments: