Monday, May 9, 2011

First Friday in May (I know it was last week)

5:30am--after hitting snooze a time or two, slowly roll out of bed.  Then quickly get dressed and ready to go, ans start looking for resources online for my morning class.  Lose track of time, and shoot out the door at
6:35am--walk quickly to St. Peter's, reciting the rosary on the way.
6:57am--arrive in the line at St. Peter's, only to realize that I had miscalculated, assuming things would be back to normal there by the Friday after the beatification, but no--there were about a hundred people in line ahead of me, and only one metal detector open. Plenty of pushing and shoving, as everyone wants to go in to venerate Bl. JP2's relics. 
7:06am--I make it inside to the basilica, to the altar of the Transfiguration for Mass in the extraordinary form, in time for the epistle, and to see that the two girls who were pushing their way around me and who broke into a sprint immediately past the metal detector had rushed for the same Mass.
7:47am--instead of meeting Father for breakfast, go over to the Confessions area in the basilica, crossing past a German pontifical Mass at the Altar of the Chair to get there, past all the speakers booming the bishops'/cardinals' voices across the church. 
8:00am--denied entry to the Adoration chapel at St. Peter's, so go back to the other side to the other chapel with the Blessed Sacrament at the Altar of St. Joseph. 
8:07am--on my way out, see priest I know saying Mass at the Altar of the Transfiguration.  He has a bell sitting on the altar rail, and no one at all answering the Mass or ringing the bell.  It was the Offertory, and I knelt by the bell and made the responses for the rest of the Mass.  (Later in the day, I was there when this same priest came back to his friary and he thanked me for being his "angel of the bell.")
8:25am--leave St. Peter's.  Head for the Angelicum, but feeling a bit peckish, stop at a bar for breakfast.  The bar happens to be right next door to the Venerable English College, and sure enough, a seminarian I know walked in just after I did.  So, we chatted a bit, and off I went.
9:13am--arrive in Adoration chapel at the Angelicum for my holy hour, 7 minutes early!
10:30am--start eschatology class--discuss hell for the next couple of hours.
12:22pm--head over toward the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross (S. Croce), stopping on the way to chat with a couple of NAC seminarians about the upcoming Clericus Cup quarter finals, and passing along the way the Vittorio Emmanuele Monument (the "Wedding Cake"), the Collegio Romano, S. Maria Sopra Minerva (the only Gothic church in Rome, where St. Catherine of Siena and Fra Angelico are buried), the Pantheon (where Rafael and Victor Emmanuel are buried), and St. Louis of the Franks (with the famous Caravaggio painting, The Vocation of Matthew, decorates a side altar), and the church of St. Augustine (where St. Monica is buried).
about 1pm--arrive in the church (S. Apollinare) at S. Croce in time for the last third of Mass at a side altar.  Then go down to the cafeteria with Father and the other half of the congregation for lunch.  Discuss hell and the state of the Church and other important issues (in Italian) over lunch.
2:30pm--finish lunch, spiritual direction.
4pm--back at the Angelicum, join a friend for hot chocolate from a machine.  Then leave a set of petitions with an Italian friend in the hopes that she will translate them from English to Italian while I go on to
5:00pm--"extra" Latin with a couple of the Dominicans.  We go through several chapters of the Summa Contra Gentiles of St. Thomas, translating from Latin to English.
6:14pm--we three rush out in order to get to the Adoration chapel for Benediction (which one of the Dominicans with me has to lead at
6:20pm)--Tantum ergo...
6:30pm--return to the receptionist to collect the translation that I hope she has by now finished.  We discuss the translation, and spend the next hour making sure I can read her handwriting (which was certainly a challenge, as she had to write quickly between phone calls, requests at her window, doorbells, etc.!).
7:30pm--from the other side of town, the person who has asked me to take charge of the petitions I've just had translated calls me to tell me she is a little late for our dinner engagement.  Just as well, as I had forgotten entirely for the last hour that I was supposed to be there right now, with a suitcase (to be returned) and with things to spend the night.  I tell her I'll be there in an hour.
7:32pm--run home, pack bag, head to dinner.
8:36pm--arrive with suitcase.  She has dinner almost ready, and tells me to pick a movie.  We watched Finding Nemo.
11:30ishpm.  Bedtime.  Happy First Friday.

No comments: