Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tenebrae

I just sent this e-mail, but rather liked it, so here it is for you, too:

Last night, Tenebrae lasted until 11, so you need a bit of stamina for it.  But, it is beautiful--they chanted the whole thing.  Basically, it's the old version of Matins/Office of Readings with three "nocturns" of 3 psalms and readings/responsories followed by old Lauds/Morning Prayer with 5 psalms and the Benedictus.  After each psalm is recited, one of the 15 candles is extinguished until just the one remains at the Benedictus.  Then, that one (representing Christ) is removed and hidden behind the altar, and all is in darkness. 

I was surprised to see a lot of people there--a lot of clergy involved where last year there were only 4, and a lot of faithful, nearly filling the church where last year I was the only one--but about one third left before it finally ended.

No comments: