Monday of Holy Week, the station church is St. Praxedes, across from St. Mary Major. Into church filed ten sisters dressed in gray and blue habits, or matching but solid black habits. These sisters are from the Verbo Encarnado sisters, founded in Argentina some 23 years ago. The ones in black are for their Byzantine branch in the Ukraine, where blue looks horribly out of place. After Mass, I was on my way out to actually have tea with 2 others (neither of us belonging to the usual coffee crowd as we have other things to do), when one of the sisters, Sr. Kidane, asked if I had been to Giuliano's funeral. Yes. She thought she had recognized m from there. Had I been to all the station Masses. Yes. And, what was I planning to do the next day? Go to the station Mass at S. Prisca. Ah, would I like to join the group of sisters for the Seven Church pilgrimage, they would be meeting at S. Lawrence-outside-the-Walls at 8am for Mass, and then go from there--by the way, what would my name be? Okay, a domani.
So, Tuesday morning I found my way to S. Prisca's, about 2 miles from where I live. (i estimated based on 40 min. walking time, and confirmed on google maps, 3km.) Then, from there to S. Lorenzo--without really knowing the way... (another hour and a half before starting the 35km pilgrimage). Now, looking it up, Google tells me I walked about 5 miles to reach that church with the very awkward route I took, and that meshes with the time it took me to get there. Overall, if what i have put in the map is close to accurate, about 20 miles.
approximate route, perhaps
No comments:
Post a Comment