Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sad things I saw today

Just outside of church this morning, I saw a bedraggled pigeon, missing its tail.  It looked like just the front half of a bird.  The feathers around the head were messed up, but there was no tail at all, and no feathers at all behind the wings!

Then, inside the Pantheon today, where there was standing room only, four older Italian ladies took turns sitting in two chairs.  Behind them were three young (college-age, guessing) men stretched across their 3 chairs.  While I stood there thinking that it was a shame to see young men in chairs on such an occasion, one of the Italian grandmotherly ladies approached the young men to request their seats.  They unabashedly and outright refused.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Had similar experience last week on a bus. I was feeling less-than-great and took a seat, but almost immediately an older lady came on, so I gave her my seat, and while she was happy, she did look almost shocked about it. I think the concept of "southern gentleman" doesn't really extend much beyond the south.

me said...

Yet "chivalry" is a European thing. Or was.