Saturday, October 2, 2010

First Friday


Yesterday was first Friday. I woke up and quickly prepared myself for Mass, checked e-mail, and went out the door. In my e-mail was an invitation to attend a concert at the Vatican with the Holy Father at 6pm. However, I had already agreed to help a friend move at around 3pm. What to do.
I thought about it as I walked to church. After Mass, I mentioned it to another friend who told me to go ahead to the concert, and she would help our friend move. I called our friend with the proposal to come earlier and bring extra help, which she readily accepted. Then, I went to school to finish up some registration issues, which took the rest of the morning. So, just as I arrived back home with my shopping, ready to prepare a quick lunch for the friend who would go with me to help our friend move, my phone rang. Our friend had just found out (it's just past noon) that a moving van would arrive at 2pm, and so she needed everything packed by then. So, we skipped lunch, I found my volunteer friend outside, and we headed over to help move. We arrived about 1pm, and I had to call about tickets for the concert at 1:30. We packed quickly, and I called and found out I should be ready by 4pm and go pick up the tickets. The moving van driver showed up just before too and lamented the situation we were in. We had more furniture to move than he expected, and more boxes, and the furniture (which he wanted first) was not yet ready to move. So, we moved faster and cleared the furniture to go in the truck, and just before they finished figuring out what they would do with what was left, I had to go to get back in time to get tickets for the concert. I hurried back, planning to take a taxi, when the bus actually showed up. So, I took buses back, and found out my friends were not going to the concert after all, as they had decided to go see The Blind Side instead. So they gave me their tickets. I ran home and got dressed up and headed to the Vatican for the concert. The holy father entered, shaking hands with people on our side of the auditorium, and then sat with us to enjoy the symphony and chorus. Afterward, he spoke a little about the music, thanking those who made it possible, and exited shaking hands with the audience on the other side of the hall. Dinner, then back home.

Today is another day...
Happy first Saturday.

No comments: