Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Padre Pio


Every day is an adventure. Last Thursday, I determined to go to the monastery, packed a bag, and on my way to meet the friends who were to take me, I stopped by to see my spiritual director. Then I continued on my way to the church where I was to meet my host for the weekend. On my way there, I was reminded by a banner spread across a side street that it was the feast of Padre Pio.

A nearby parish was to celebrate the feast over the next three days, and soon I saw how much the Romans love this saint from the South.

For, it was only a matter of very few minutes from when the banner reminded me of his feast day, I heard and saw a procession coming my direction.

About a thousand people processed by, praying and singing in honor of the Wonder Worker of Pietrelcino. First came acolytes, confraternity, and Padre Pio prayer groups from many walks of life. Near the end, a priest carried one of Padre Pio's fingerless gloves (which he wore to cover his stigmata wounds) in a precious reliquary, but the culmination of the whole procession was the wooden bust reliquary holding actual first-class relics of the saint.


After the procession passed, I went on to the church, S. Salvatore in Lauro, from which it proceeded, and there I saw Mass being set up for hundreds of people in the piazza outside. Inside, many candles and flowers were set before more first and second class relics of Padre Pio, and of his statue on the other side of the church. One could certainly see that there was a great devotion to him.

No comments: