Just a couple days left before Lent. Time to eat chocolate, so I won't be tempted by it lying around come Wednesday.
Anyway, it really is time for me to start preparing for Lent, and I have been thinking about ways to fulfill the threefold obligation of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving during these coming 40 days. It's always tough, and I'm always glad when it's over, and I can just reach over and and mindlessly grab a piece of chocolate while I sit and study, yet it's actually one of my favorite times of year. Not because I enjoy the cold that comes with it, or the shift in seasons. But, because it really is a good retreat-in-the-world, a good reminder of what I'm doing here in this condition of viator, and for recognizing Christ's suffering in all of my individual sufferings, disappointments, discomforts. It grants me a new sense of gratitude every year, and of course increases my joy at Easter.
So, while I'll enjoy these last few days of not-yet-Lent, yet I really will be glad when Wednesday rolls around with its fasting and privations.
No comments:
Post a Comment