Monday, January 28, 2013

Peregrinatio vitae, and resolutions

I've been reading, thinking, and generally procrastinating during this exam period at school.  And one of the things I've been thinking is that I should really stop procrastinating.  Really.  Time flies, as I've had more and more occasion to notice recently.  And, if I look back at my life, I can see times when I've felt I was a better person than I am now.  I see myself slipping more and more.  So, as I was thinking about Septuagessima, and St. Paul's exhortation that we should seek the incorruptible crown with more zeal than athletes seek the laurel crown, I really started examining my present circumstances.  Looking around, I can see my family and friends going through very uncomfortable situations, and I see them make many and even drastic lifestyle changes because of health conditions or new difficulties that present themselves.  And again I look at my own circumstances, and how lazy I've been, and all the efforts I make to be comfortable, instead of to be morally just.  And for spiritual reading lately, I've started reading St. Alphonsus Liguori, and he reminds me that to be perfect, I must not only recognize that I am imperfect, but I must ardently desire that perfection I lack. 
Septuagessima is a good reminder that the race has begun, that it's time, NOW, to get in shape! 
And St. Alphonsus Liguori does well to remind me that this morning, today, I can begin to serve the Lord, and that that is true every day.  That ought to be my attitude.  And by looking at the courage of those around me, perhaps I can find that courage myself to begin.

And so, ready, set, GO!

No comments: