Sunday, February 26, 2012

First Sunday in Lent

I didn't put up any link to Ss. Giovanni e Paolo, for Friday's Station or S. Agostino, for Saturday's station.  But today's station should be somewhat familiar--St. John Lateran (S. Giovanni in Laterano).

Yesterday, at the church of St. Augustine, I had time to visit the little side chapels.  So I visited the tomb of St. Monica, and slipped into a smaller chapel of the Assumption next to it.  There, I saw the painting, and took that picture.  Unfortunately, it's hard to see, being a bit dark.  It did really quite strike me.  Partly because I recognized the scene, and partly because it's so well depicted.  It shows the little boy on the seaside, holding shell.  When Augustine asks what he's doing, he says he's putting the ocean in the small hole next to him, using the shell to transport it a little at a time.  St. Augustine explained it couldn't be done.  And the boy told him that it was easier to do that than to try to comprehend the Trinity, as Augustine was trying to do!

Perhaps you can find a better photo of this painting online somewhere.

No comments: