May 1 in Rome is a big deal. So, when I paid my rent in the morning, the property manager asked me if I had already done my shopping, because, if not, I would be out of luck. For, you see, May 1 is the Communist labor day here, so no one works that day. All the stores close. I hadn't thought about it yet, as I had been too busy in the prior days to shop, and I hadn't gone so far as to plan meals for the weekend. So, when I got back from Mass at St. Mary Major, I had to think about what I had that I could mix into a meal. I'm fairly well supplied with emergency food, so I pulled out some dried penne pasta, a bottle of interesting looking salad dressing that the Italians imagine is cocktail sauce, and this impatient clove of garlic that was already poking out of its peel.


I didn't have to slice the outside part, as I just tore it off and put it in the water with the oil and salt. The garlic clove appeared to be peel for the baby garlic clove. Can't say I've ever seen anything like that before, so here's the evidence.
When the pasta was cooked, I added some Korean seaweed, and I had a pretty good meal, which I finished with cherry yogurt, and a nap.
Speaking of nap, though, it's about that time already. And I have Latin homework to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment