Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Every year during Lent since Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ came out, I have watched it with much edification. Last year, however, I was unsure how to go about it, since I had not brought it with me to Italy, and did not know where to find it here. However, when some friends came to spend Easter, they kindly brought it with them and we were able to watch it on Good Friday. This year, Holy Week arrived, and I was still uncertain about how to watch the film. An Italian friend came to the rescue, though, and lent me the dvd, and so I was able to watch it on Spy Wednesday before going to Mass and Tenebre.
Last night, I went to return the video, and tucked in a little Easter present. When I stopped by, however, the couple had me come in and sit down, and then plied me with lamb and roast potatoes and a columba. It was a wonderful dinner. Then, before I left, they packed up a little goodie bag for me with the leftover columba, some sweet Easter bread, and a chocolate Easter egg. Then Gianni walked me home, and offered to take me to this morning's papal audience.
This morning, Gianni called about 9:30, met me at a nearby bar for a typical Italian breakfast--cappuccino and cornetto. Then he gave me a ride beyond the Vatican gate, past the Swiss Guard, that I might walk into the Square from behind and skip the long lines at the metal detectors. Then he escorted me up the steps that I might sit in the "special section" beside the pope, even though I had no ticket for the audience at all. And then he went off to work, and I found a seat amidst some rambunctious youth from Milan. As the Holy Father approached, nearly all around me stood on their seats and cheered and took photos. Some of the chairs broke. One with a resounding crash just behind me. Then, as the audience began, all sat.

Such was the view I had during the audience. After, because the pope would pass, we had to wait before the Swiss Guard and Vatican Gendarmerie would let us out.


And then the pope arrived aboard the popemobile, and we left.

On my way home, I saw a staircase, "santa scala," open, so I climbed to meet the crucifix at the top. I had passed this staircase leading to the Dutch church many times, but this was the first time I'd seen it open. The crucifix was lovely, though I didn't take a picture. The church was nice, but there are plenty of prettier ones in Rome. And then I continued home.
So continue adventures in Rome.

No comments: