Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yesterday I "celebrated" the feast by editing a paper, teaching a Latin lesson, filling in for feasting guardians at the adoration chapel, and studying for this morning's exam.  However, I still managed to squeeze in two turkey dinners.  One of my Latin pupils invited me to his "collegio" (community residence) to have lunch with his African and Asian confreres.  Since the community's bursar is American, he (I suppose) ordered turkey to be part of the meal, so I enjoyed spaghetti and turkey for lunch.  Then an American friend invited me to her apartment for supper, where she had cooked a couple of turkey legs along with black rice, roasted carrots, and baked cabbage.  I brought over a couple of slices of pear cake, which we enjoyed for dessert. 
Not a bad way to spend the day!

ps, The exam this morning went well.  The visiting professor asked a bit about my doctoral research, offered some suggestions, and then eased into the actual exam, in which I spoke about the actual class he came to teach.  Thus, before I had time to get nervous, the exam was over and we were shaking hands.  Then I was able to meet with my dissertation director this afternoon, and thus have the confidence to move forward a bit.

2 comments:

Belfry Bat said...

And a merry Advent!

Mum said...

I'm so glad that you got to meet with your dissertation director!