Now I'm back Stateside for the summer. Yesterday a lady told me she was glad I was back and asked if I am still overseas, and pointed out that it must be a sort of culture shock every time I go back and forth. And, in a way, she's right. I was thinking about that as I walked home from the Y yesterday morning. I'm glad to be back with my family. But I'm also glad to be in an air conditioned house. I'm glad to know when I go to the store that the price marked on merchandise is what I will be expected to pay for it.
But as I walked, I thought about how few pedestrians one finds here, and how little sidewalk. I didn't take the shortest route home, because that would involve no sidewalk at all. Instead, I chose the route with the most pavement. Which meant that for the first quarter mile or so, I did not have any sidewalk, but then I could cut across a shopping center through their parking lot. Then I cross Main Street (though there are no pedestrian signals, crosswalks, or sidewalks at that point) to the former railroad track turned recreation trail on the the other side. And I stay there on that track for about a mile before crossing the street again about where the sidewalk starts. And, speaking of crossing the street, that's a lot different here than there. I must remember when I'm Stateside that it is best to look both ways first before cautiously stepping out in the road, while in Rome I remember it's best not to look at oncoming traffic who may slow down but will at least dodge me when I cross. Here, I don't as pedestrian automatically have the right of way. Generally, the pedestrians one finds around here are those teenagers and children who don't yet have access to their parents' or their own cars, or people out for a short walk for exercise. The recreation trail was a great idea. Now people drive to the parking lot at the start of the trail and then either walk, jog, or bike their way to the other end and back, and then drive home. Here, if a motorist sees you walking alone, he'll quite possibly suspect your car isn't working well, or you're in some kind of trouble. Here, there are still many who will pull over and offer a ride. That's not the sort of thing that happens in Rome, which is a very pedestrian-oriented city! As I walked along the trail yesterday on my way home, I greeted everyone I passed with a smile and a wave or a "good morning!" Each one returned the greeting. That doesn't happen in pedestrian-oriented Rome, where one greets acquaintances only.
I saw in the church bulletin that Tuesday Masses have been suspended until further notice due to a scheduling conflict. That leaves Thursday as the only Mass outside Sunday here. And this today will be the last Thursday Mass until further notice due to the change in pastoral assignments, as our pastor leaves us and a new one comes next week. When the new priest arrives, he will have a week or so to settle without worrying about a weekday Mass schedule, and then he will be able to come up with his own to suit his schedule. This is also much different from Rome, where one often finds multiple daily Masses at each parish, and multiple priests. And so many churches around that the faithful may choose around their own schedules when to attend Mass any given day.
Here, I am happy to see much grass and green and houses sitting in the middle of lawns. The old palazzos in Rome are beautiful, and the cobblestone roads quaint, but to find grass or lawns or gardens, one must go to a park, or maybe find a courtyard within one of those palaces. Here, buildings are separated by more than just streets. Grass. lawns, gardens, shrubs, driveways, etc., make this look a lot different than Rome. No olive trees in this neighborhood, though, nor orange trees to share their fruits with us all winter.
Anyway, it's good to be home for the summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment