 |
| Near my hotel |
I had some trouble with WiFi before and did not manage to upload any photos. So, here are a few to start, finally.
 |
| Getting lost on the way to the library, I happened upon la Place de Vendôme. |
 |
| Deo gratias! I eventually found the library. |
 |
| And thus hid myself away in the Richelieu, poring over manuscripts. |
 |
| As they close the library some three hours before sunset, I felt there was time to take the bus back to the hotel, and took some photos from my seat. |
Now, I had understood from their reputation that Parisians are often rude and unhelpful. In my experience, this was happily not the case. Kind people throughout the city helped me find the way the many times I got lost. One person even offered help without being asked, approaching and noting that I looked lost. Another person stayed at work late when I arrived late at the library in order to help me get my card and facilitate the process for accessing my manuscript the next day. In fact, I found everyone at the library helpful and kind, contrary to expectations based on reputation.
Of course, it was indeed an adventure. They had "technical difficulties" at the library, making it impossible for me to see a manuscript until Wednesday (never mind that I had written more than a week in advance to ask about the two manuscripts that I wished to see, that I had arrived Monday, or had my flight out already booked for Friday). Still, the very fact that they had the manuscripts waiting for me Wednesday morning was a huge relief and joy. Also, it proved a potent aid to concentration, knowing how very brief a window I had to work with them.
My visit was capped with Offenbach's Geneviéve de Brabant, featuring my former classmate on second violin. There, they let me in as the first spectator (as in my fear of getting lost I had arrived almost 2 hours early) about half an hour before the performance was supposed to start. Shortly after I took my seat, however, a couple of people came over and helpfully explained in French that I was not allowed to be there for another ten minutes--they were still closed in order to finish rehearsal. First in--first kicked out!
From this visit, I realize my French is really poor, but not irremediably so. It would take some time in the country and it should improve. It was a truly remarkable trip.
3 comments:
First in, first kicked out... that's too funny!
And I love the relief of the Madonna and Child.
Post a Comment