Tuesday, April 30, 2013

kinda slow

By now it should come as no surprise that I've gone so long without posting.  Still, it was remarkable that somehow through Lent I managed something.  But, enough of that.

Just now, I came back after a long day at school.  Today is Tuesday, and I don't have any actual classes.  However, after Mass this morning I went to school to meet a classmate to study one of our classes in English--this to accomplish the double goal of understanding the philosophy of predestination according to two medieval thinkers and of practicing English for my Italian classmate.  After a couple of hours with her, I went to the school library where I pretended to work for a few hours.  Normally, a student will replace the librarian at the desk for 3 hours in the middle of the day to leave her free for other chores and lunch.  Well, the lady who normally does this on Tuesdays happens to be in Guatemala now, visiting her very ill grandfather.  So, I went to take her place.  Which can be fun for a little while.  I got to sit there and explain things in English, Italian, or Spanish to students coming and going.  And then I left and let the real librarian handle the real work.  But, it was hot today!  So, I dragged one of my classmates to a gelateria nearby to cool off a bit before going to teach an English lesson to a little girl.  Then, back to school for Benediction at the end of the day of Adoration, and now back home.  As usual, the first thing I did on arrival was check the flowers on the windowsill, and set up my computer to check e-mail.

Now for a little background.  It seems to me I've written here occasionally about the various wildlife nearby.  Did I happen to mention a pair of pigeons nesting over my bathroom window?  Or the swallows that squeak and squawk in a hole by my cupboard?  I know I've spoken of the omnipresent seagulls and ants and bugs of various types, and the lizards and geckos. 

Well, tonight as I had just finished, in flew a swallow to see me!

The poor thing was so confused and thrown off, that he let me take a couple of pictures, and then let me lift him to the window, whence he flew away again! 

And that convinced me to write here again!

1 comment:

Belfry Bat said...

Well, what a bird! This morning I was wakened by the neighborhood cardinals and a tiny fellow who sings "la so mi", ever so sincerely. Never had visitors, though, except for the odd mouse.

There's a thing they say about "a bird in the hand"...

Mountains and hills, bless the Lord
Everything growing from the earth, bless the Lord
Ye springs, bless the Lord
Seas and rivers, bless the Lord
Ye dolphins and all water creatures, bless the Lord
All ye birds of the air, bless the Lord.
All ye beasts, wild and tame, bless the Lord
Ye sons of men, bless the Lord.